Grandmother's flower garden quilt

I just wanted to post a little on the quilt I have started. I have wanted to make a quilt for ages now, but was always too much of a chicken to start one. Then I heard about English Paper Piecing, and decided I could manage making a quilt that way. I have a tiny apartment here in Toronto (despite the not tiny cost!) so the actual quilting I won't be able to manage. I have a nearly 5 year old, a dog and a husband in a tiny 2 bedroom- it's just not going to happen! So, instead of trying to set up a quilting frame, I think I will send the quilt top, whenever it finally gets finished, to get professionally quilted. For now though, I am hand sewing about 3500 hexagons using my beautiful reproduction 1930's feedsack fabric. It is actually coming along very well, despite only working on it at night when I watch tv, or if I have an appointment to wait for.

To the left is the travel set I made. You can see the hexagon papers I bought (far too lazy to print and cut them myself!) my needle case, thread, silver tin of pins, and some small scissors and well as some hexagons pinned to fabric squares, ready for me to work on.

This is a set of all 20 fabrics I am currently using. I will need to place another order for 20 different fat quarters, and then I will buy some white or cream fabric for the rest of the quilt.



These are some of my completed ones, though I have finished another row and a half since this was taken. I haven't done much in the past week since my cousin was here, but I hope to catch up soon. I plan to finish about 30 per day so I can complete them all within 4 months, though I am sure I will be at least a little behind schedule!

Anyway, so that is what I have been doing in my spare time and hopefully I will get it done sometime in at least the next 5 years! =)

0 comments: